Monday, February 28, 2011

Visit to Prince of Peace

Today highlighted our trip to POP foster center. According to 2007 statistics, Tianjin has a population of 10.43 million people. It took us 1 1/2 hours from our hotel in the heart of Tianjin to get to the district of Wuqing where POP is located.
Here we met with caretakers and the director of POP where Benjamin spent four years growing up. Such kind and loving people administer care for 110 precious special needs children of various ages. The children were eating lunch and getting settled in for naps by the time we arrived. We tried to take in as many smiling faces of children who had been obviously cared for. Several children with Downs syndrome, many with Cerebral Palsy, some in walkers and wheelchairs and others that were blind, deaf or both. All extremely dependent, needing the specialized touch of someone who cares. It is an awe filled moment to witness helpless little ones being given a compassionate touch and in turn seeing the smiles and looks of wonder as we passed by.
According to Doug Herman in his book called FAITHQUAKE, he quotes from Jeremiah 1:5 " Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations." Jeremiah challenges God after he delivers a message of judgment and repentance.
This is found in verse 1,'You are always righteous, O Lord, when I bring a case before you. Yet i would speak with you about your justice: Why does the way of the wicked prosper? Why do all the faithless live at ease?'
" Asking 'why' is completely natural. God is not offended by our wonder. If Jeremiah could ask why, I know I can too. God is not shaken when I ask why. The freedom to ask God why does not give us license to receive a complete explanation. Sometimes asking is all the satisfaction we'll get. Sometimes God gives us the answer, 'Because I am your Father.' He doesn't stop to give us details or gain our approval. He is God, after all, the greatest Father of them all. It really is enough of an answer when it comes from Him."
I can't explain all the thoughts going through my head after our visit to POP. What I can say for sure is that I am extremely grateful to God and these caring people who funded and provided for our son when his needs were so great. God is certainly aware of broken humanity. God doesn't close his eyes to the needs of His children. He does prompt people's hearts to step up and make sure that the most defenseless ones are cared for. Surely this is what we witnessed here today.

No comments:

Post a Comment